If your legs feel sore and tired at the end of the day on a regular basis, then you may be experiencing some of the symptoms of weak ankles. Weak ankles are usually easy to gradually improve by using strengthening exercises, stretching, and other methods that may be suggested by your foot doctor.
Some of the best methods for strengthening weak ankles include:
- Custom orthotics: Specially constructed ankle bands, rigid boots, and other stabilizing devices are often the preferred treatments for ankle sprains. Properly placed orthotic inserts restore proper gait mechanics and help increase ankle strength.
- Calf raises: One of the easiest exercises to do to increase strength is the calf raise. You can execute calf raises just about anywhere in the home or office since all you have to do is stand on your toes and raise your ankles up and down. Do about 15 repetitions and try slowly adding weights for additional improvement.
- Heel walking: This easy exercise consists of raising the front of your foot so you’re just walking on your heel. Even though it may look odd to your neighbors or others, go ahead and walk around the yard, house or office on your heels. Your ankles will improve in strength and flexibility.
- The hop and leap exercise: Hopping and leaping up and down and back and forth will increase the strength in your entire lower body, and also increase your sense of awareness of where your feet and ankles are located which can increase balance and help avoid falls.
- Stretching exercises: Dynamic stretching exercises for your feet and ankles are also an excellent way to improve ankle health. Your foot doctor can help you design an appropriate stretching and strengthening program to get your ankles in the best shape.
Your ankles and feet keep you moving and take a beating on a daily basis, so regular visits to your podiatrist are an excellent way to help you take good care of your feet. The foot specialists at Great Neck Podiatry in Great Neck and Bronx, NY have unparalleled experience in treating all aspects of foot and ankle problems. Dr. Lance Grieff and his experienced team are dedicated to serving you with all of the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies.
If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please feel free to schedule an appointment online or call (516) 829-1028 to reach our Great Neck, NY office or (718) 601-2100 to contact our Bronx, NY office.